Transforming a Man’s Shirt into Chic!
- I prefer converting a man’s shirt because it is bigger and longer which gives your more options for designs.
- The way I altered this shirt was first I shaped the sides and placed front and back darts to make the shirt more fitted,
- Then I made the shoulder narrow by taking in the top of the sleeve on the shoulder.
- I wanted to keep the sleeves long but pulled up over the elbow.
- To give the cuffs enough room to pull over the elbow I made a fake cuff links with elastic.
For this project you will need: Notions: Four buttons with hooks that thread, narrow tube elastic, needle and thread
- 1: To narrow the shoulder – You can either put a shoulder dart or take in the sleeve at top of shoulder
- 2: I made fake cuff links with buttons with hooks at the back so that the elastic can thread through. (Narrow tube elastic cut approximately 3″ long)
- 3: Thread the button with the elastic and pull elastic through one button
- 4: Then through the buttonhole in the sleeve cuff
- 5: Continue to pull the elastic through the other buttonhole and through the other button then join both ends of the elastic by hand stitching to secure, It should look like the diagram below.
The cuffs should look like the picture above.
I slit the shirt to the waist and put trim around the collar and cuff for a chic look