The Making of a Bedspread!
Making a bedspread is quite simple, like drapery and curtains it requires a lot of stitching.
To make a bedspread it’s best to purchase 45 or 60″ fabric. There are some fabric stores where you can purchase fabric the width of your bed. In that case all you will need is the length and then you add the fringe or trims you need.
When buying 45″ or 60″ wide fabric measure how long you want the bedspread, then buy double the length, ie: if the desired length of the bedspread is three yards or meters then purchase six yards/meters or double the length of the bedspread your are making.
To make a bedspread follow these steps:
- Fold the fabric in half – your will have two pieces of ie: if the length of your bedspread is three yards, you would have purchased six yards of fabric – when it is folded you will have two pieces of fabric 3yds. each. Put one piece of fabric away – that will be the center of your bedspread.
- The other three yards fold length wise and cut in two pieces – ie: if the fabric is 45″ wide when it is folded in half lengthwise you will have two pieces of fabric 22 1/2″ each x 3yds long or the desired length of the bedspread.
- (When using 60″ wide fabric, you will have two pieces 30″ width. You will have to adjust the two side pieces to floor length or where you want the bedspread to fall
- Take the piece of fabric that you put away and join the 22 1/2″ cut pieces on either side.
- (The reason you join at the sides is that you don’t have a center seam on the bed spread) Adjust to floor length.